Galliford's Restaurant & Tavern is looking for prep cooks who share our passion for food and take pride in their work. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about each dish they serve and welcomes the opportunity for growth. We are looking for someone with a positive attitude and can accept direction as necessary. The perfect candidate would possess excellent knife skills, be able to follow specific recipes & instructions to prepare menu items using basic kitchen equipment and preparatory utensils. Previous experience cooking in a professional, high volume capacity is required, though we won't turn away exceptional beginners who are driven, dependable and willing to grow and learn.
This prep cook position may require working at the Zebra Café in the Zoo or in The Deli, located on the bottom level of Galliford's during the heart of season.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING, OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED AS NEEDED)
1. Reads and prepares menu items as ordered by customers according to portion control and quality standards of the menu.
2. Follows specific recipes and instructions to prepare menu items as ordered to prepare menu items using basic kitchen equipment and preparatory utensils.
3. Prepares food items according to recipes, instructions and customer orders, and follows food handling and safety requirements.
4. Retrieves ingredients from appropriate areas by lifting and carrying to the food preparation area.
5. Communicates shortage of menu items to Kitchen Manager immediately
6. Unloads deliveries from truck and places in appropriate storage areas by lifting and carrying boxes.
7. Stores incoming food shipments properly in the storeroom, maintain storeroom heat in a neat, orderly manner and ensures all food items are stored at the appropriate temperature
8. Places dishes in the dishwasher and cleans dishes in a pot and pan sink as needed (if working hours when others are not there)
9. Stocks dishes, glassware ad silverware as needed
10. Always maintains a neat and orderly work area
11. Sweeps and mops the kitchen floor at the end of their shift (if working hours when others are not there)
12. Completes opening and closing duties in accordance with approved procedures
13. Reports any health and/or safety concerns/violations immediately to management
14. Performs other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or customers or employees of the organization
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold (non-weather); extreme heat (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include depth perception to adjust focus